The Instrument Escort is a tool that helps you to manage instruments and instrument lists. In order to receive data for particular instruments and to be able to trade with them, the necessary instruments must be imported into the Instrument Escort.
Use the Instrument Escort to:
- select instruments and instrument lists.
In order to open the Instruments window use one of the options:
- 1.Select Instrument Escort by using Tools -> Settings or
- 2.left click the symbolin the application toolbar within the main window.
This window consists of the following parts:
- Search for a symbol/name:
- enter the symbol (e.g. GOOG), the full name (Google Inc.) or the ISIN number (US38259P5089).
- double-click on the search result to select the instrument and bring up the Instrument details tab.
- enter type of symbol (e.g. future, stocks, index etc)
- enter exchange (e.g. Nyse)
- Selection list tree:
- Choose single instruments or whole instrument lists for further editing.
- Details tab:
- Add new instruments or edit existing instruments within the details tab.
- Instrument lists tab:
- Add or manage instrument lists within this tab.
Note: Fractals are only available for Futures. It is default setting in the right area of the window, yet disappears when you have chosen an instrument other than futures.
The Instrument Escort selection list tree displays 3 additional lists:
- Static Lists: lists created or edited by a user. Using the Configuration Escort you can connect chart groups with the static instrument lists if necessary. This means that changing values within the list chart group or the tab chart group will automatically change your static lists and vice versa.
- Dynamic Lists: pre-defined lists that are updated automatically (if there is an internet connection).
- Screener Presets: lists that refresh automatically based on scanning activities (if there is an internet connection). These lists can be created using the Stock EOD Screener.
The context menu of the selection list tree section can be accessed by right clicking and allows the following
- Reset checkboxes: deletes all checkbox markers.
- Reload: reloads the Instrument Escort. This may be necessary after a new instrument has been added.
Left clicking on the instrument name within the chart opens the Instrument Escort window.
To add a new instrument to a chart follow these steps:
- 1."Activate" the chart by left clicking on it.
- 2.Once you start typing letters using the keyboard, the instrument search window will be opened.
- 3.After selecting the instrument needed and pressing 'Enter' (or double-clicking) the new chart will be displayed.
If you open the Instrument Escort to choose instruments/instrument lists (tick record, Forex pad, etc.) then only the section with the selection list will appear. Press the Select button or double-click to choose a single instrument or whole instrument list.
The following actions can be carried out using the Import/Export button within the Instruments window:
Description of the functions:
Select Markets + Mappings menu item: more information in the section Instruments: Markets and Mappings
- Import from File: imports instruments from a CSV file
- Import from Dialog: inserts symbols that satisfy the same criteria.
- Import Mappings: imports mappings from a CSV file.
- Import Instrument Lists: imports instrument lists from a CSV file.
The name of the *.csv file will be suggested as the instrument list name. Importing will not overwrite existing lists but will simply add instruments from the *.csv file that are not included in the instrument list. However, importing will overwrite existing instruments (details will be updated).
- Import from Instruments DB XML Snapshots: creates a backup file of instruments. More information in the section: Instrument Escort: How to backup the instrument database.
- Export Instruments to XML Snapshot.
This section explains which formats are supported when importing instruments and mappings from a CSV file.
Each instrument traded or analyzed within AgenaTrader must exist in the Instrument Escort. Currently the AgenaTrader database contains approx. 7000 instruments of all types (stocks, futures, etc.).
The following attributes can be imported into AgenaTrader: - <Symbol> - The instrument's exchange symbol - <Name> - Instrument name - <Margin> - %-margin for a leveraged instrument (see below) - <PointValue> - Value per point - <TickSize> - Tick size - <MainSector> - Sector of economy (for stocks) - <DetailSector> - Industry (for stocks) - <InstrumentType> - Instrument type (see selection list in the Details tab) - <Exchange> - Exchange (see selection list in the Details tab) - <ETF> - Exchange Traded Fund: true / false - <Currency> - Currency (see selection list in the Details tab) - <Expiry> - The instrument's expiration date (futures) – Format example: 06.2014 (mm.yyyy) - <ISIN> - tbd - <DefaultOrdersize> - tbd
If a margin is different for various brokers, you can edit it using the Mapped symbol column in the Details tab.
The following formatting is required for a CSV file:
- 1.The first cell must contain the tag <Import Instrumens>
- 2.Below this tag there are <Attributes> and <Instrument> rows.
- 3.The <Attributes> row causes a change of attributes for the following <Instrument> rows.
- 4.The <Instrument> row may also include attributes.